By: Robert Frost
TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
When answering your questions below, make sure to you the proper use of commas from yesterday’s grammar lesson on coordinating conjunctions and appositives.
1. What is the main idea that the author is talking about in this poem? Support your answer by using the text.
2. At the end of the poem, the author says, “I took the one [road] less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.”
-Do you have two paths you could choose right now? What are they, and which will you choose?
Right now I have two paths in life I could choose to go down. One road I can choose to go down right now is _______________________________________________________________________________. The other road I can choose to go down right now is_____________________ _______________________________________________________________________________.
3. Compare your life with long term perspective down each of the two roads you described above.
My life traveling down road one would probably end up ______________________ _______________________________________.
My life traveling down road two would probably end up ______________________ _______________________________________.
4. Which road above are you most willing to sacrifice your life to accomplish and why?
The road above that I’m most willing to sacrifice my life to accomplish is road number one/two (choose one) above because __________________.
5. In your opinion, what does it mean be a leader?
To me, being a leader means _________ _______________________________________.
6. Do you think Robert Frost was a leader when he decided to choose the road not taken? Explain your answer
7. Do you feel like you’re a person who chooses to take the Road Not Taken by others so that you can accomplish your dreams? Explain your answer.
8. You’re awesome! Be strong, be a leader, and be powerful in your decisions to think about your future before every decision you make so that the positive paths you dream of in life become your daily reality:)!!